Monday, December 6, 2010

Things I'm Passionate About

If you have ever traveled with me, or even just talked to me (or rather listened to me talk:), you may know that there are two things in life that I am incredibly passionate about: food and travel. I love both so much, that I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other. Fortunately, the two often go hand in hand. One of the things I loved most about traveling for work for the last 3.5 years, was the opportunity to not only see the world, but the opportunity to try the food in about 30 countries. I have found favorite foods, and favorite cuisines over the years, but the two that remained my absolute favorites (before ever visiting their countries of origin) were/are Thai and Indian food.

We have been in Thailand for just about three weeks now, and I can confirm that Thai food is still one of my two favorite cuisines. I have eaten a lot of food that has reinforced my passion for Thai cooking, and have even found one or two new favorite dishes. Some of them are easy to find, like papaya salad. Almost every street vendor and restaurant owner in Thailand offers this dish. They are all different, but they are all delicious. The favorite so far was a particularly sweet/spicy version in Bangkok, where the vendor added small, dried shrimp to the mix. Some dishes however, come in to town, and then disappear with the gypsy street vendors and carts that offered them. Jeff and I enjoyed a dish of morning glory stir fried with salted fish in Sukhothai, and when we went to seek it out the next day (my birthday), it was gone. Vanished. The street vendor, the cart, the plastic chairs and tables - all gone. If only we had taken notes the night before.

Here are some of the delicious foods we have eaten so far...

Dim Sum in Chiang Mai - Shrimp Rolls and Shrimp rolled in Cabbage

Meang Kum (Thai Amuse Bouche) in Chiang Mai

Raad Na

Som Tam - Papaya Salad

From top clockwise: Khaw Soi Curry, Tom Sab, Stir Fried Chicken and Cashew Nuts 

Mango Sticky Rice

Chang - Very Traditional Thai Beer

More Dim Sum - Shrimp and Crab Leg, Shrimp Shu Mai

Nescafe, Congee, and Boiled Eggs

Fruit Shakes - Mango Ginger and Pineapple Basil

Probably our Favorite Meal - Mushrooms, Veggie Curry and Brown Rice, and Spring Roll (all Vegan)

Thanksgiving Dinner - Som Tam (Papaya Salad)

Black Sticky Rice

Glass Noodle Salad, and Nua Nom Tok - Beef Salad

Veggie Dumplings

Coffee and Eggs (not super Thai, but good)
Every Day is Like a Party in My Mouth!

-Alexis

1 comment:

  1. "Everyday is like a party in my mouth"

    That's probably one of the best things you have ever said!

    ReplyDelete